Monday, December 13, 2010

St. Louis, MO

Jon has been accepted for an internship with the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA) at their St. Louis, Missouri location!!!

We are so excited and thrilled. It is a paid summer internship and he should be leaving for it in May or June of 2011. He will be working as an analyst. We're not sure what he will be analyzing at this point, but it's possible no one else but Jon will really know because it could be classified. Jon has to go through a security check before he can start. The NGA's goal is to make Jon a full-time employee after he finishes his internship and graduates school.

Koen and I will be staying in Salt Lake while Jon moves to St. Louis next summer. I do not look forward to being apart from Jon at all. I have no doubt that I will have a very hard time while Jon is gone for so long. (Thank goodness for the blessings of internet, telephones, and mail!) We will miss him tremendously. But this internship is a huge blessing and great opportunity for our family. The time that Jon will be gone, is relatively short.

Because the NGA is wanting to bring Jon on as an employee after he graduates, it is likely that Missouri will become our next home. It's comforting knowing that Jon will likely have a job right after graduation. It's also exciting to think about a new place and a new adventure. I sure hope that we fall in love with the area. If Missouri does become our next home, I will greatly miss the beautiful Utah mountains that I continually fall in love with.

I am so excited and happy for Jon! He works tremendously hard in school for our family and is a wonderful father and husband.
Way to go Jon! We are all so very proud of you!


Other not quite so big news, I finally got a calling! I've been called as the 1st counselor in the Primary presidency! I'm super excited for it. I have no idea what I will be doing yet, but I can hardly wait to find out! The primary is small, especially for a Utah ward. I believe there are only about 15 children or so. The junior and senior primary meet together. I'm hoping that since there aren't very many children, that I can get to know each of them personally and let them all know that I love them. (Isn't it cool how you can instantly love people, especially children, without really knowing them yet?) I'm hoping the responsibilities of my new calling will keep me busy, especially when next summer comes!

8 comments:

Grandpa and Grandma B. said...

CONGRATULATIONS ON BOTH ACCOUNTS!
We are proud of you both.

Grandpa and Grandma B. said...

Well, one good thing for Jonathan is; he shouldn't have too big of a problem climbing the highest peak in Missouri, which is 1772 feet elevation, with the low of 230 feet. So his biggest possible climb would be a whole 1542 feet. But I am confident that he can do it.
Dad

jeff and alli said...

Wow, that is wonderful! Congratulations Jon. What a blessing to know that you probably have a job to go to.

Lyndsay said...

Wow!!! Crazy about Jon! Hope it goes well and I'm sure it will be one very long Summer, is it not at all possible for you and Koen to join him?

And you will be amazing in that calling I am sure. Wow, 15?! Our Primary has around 150, I believe! I think it would be awesome in some ways to have a smaller primary, that way you can really get to know the children! Good luck!

Justin and Kristin said...

That is WONDERFUL for Jon!! Best of luck!
Sounds like we have similar primaries.

Heidi Bitsch said...

Congrautlations Jon! That is awesome and exciting!

Jon, Kristin, and the kiddos said...

Thanks everyone!
Unfortunately, no. Koen and I can't really go with Jon. If we do, we give up our free rent, and we need it! Especially since he'll be coming back home after a few months to continue school.

Ess said...

Congratulations to Jon! When I took the kids on a trip to St. Louis, we really liked it there. There are lots of fun things to do for free. Will you at least get to take a trip to visit Jon while he is there? Kristin, we vary between 10-15 kids in our primary in our branch. The nice thing is you will have more of an opportunity to know each child. Merry Christmas to you guys!